Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Great Depression

I was awake laying in my bed tonight and a thought came to mind about how much people these days complain about anything and everything. My thoughts lead me to think about "The Great Depression", I remember my Grandmother and parents talking about it when I was a little girl. It all started on "Black Tuesday" in 1929 when the stock market crashed as it was the main cause of high unemployment, poverty and deflation.

People had a really hard time back then and seemed to struggle just to get food on the table for their families. We have so much today to be thankful for and yet we continue to see things in a different way. Instead of being happy that we get to eat, we complain about where we should go to eat, or not knowing what to cook having our refrigerators and cupboards packed full.

Back in hard times people had no choice but to wear hand-me-downs, most of today's children don't even know what that is. I have watched a show on TV called "The Waltons", it gives a good example of the depression, even though its only a show it does point out some things people went through during those times. The show is based in 1930's about a young writer who writes about his life during the depression and how his family struggled through hardships.

When I was a little girl I lived with my Parents and Grandmother on a small farm, being born in 1973 I had fun with just simple things, even though at that time we didn't have much we were all happy. I look back on those days now whenever I'm feeling sad and wished that I could return to that life once again. Sometimes having too much is not a good thing, even if we think it is.

~Cat

2 Comments:

Blogger morgetron said...

Hey Cat,

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee is one of my favorite books of all time. It takes place during the Great Depression, though that aspect of it is merely setting, and not a major focus, it hints at the tough times and how it affected town folk, county folk, blacks, whites, men, women, children. Even though it's not a focus, it shapes the story.

My husband, children, and I lived with my Gram who is a Depression-era child, and believe me -- we learned some things from that woman while we were there. I'm ashamed of all the things I've thrown away over the years -- of how much waste I've been a part of.

I like your blog. I saw you on my Yahoo dealie and thought I'd follow-up with a visit to yours.

Take care,
Morgy

7:49 PM, March 09, 2008  
Blogger Cat's Confessions said...

Hi Morgy, thanks for commenting, I am glad you liked my blog, you are welcomed here any time. I have seen parts of the movie to kill a mockingbird but I havent read the book yet, thats going to be my next to read!
~Cat

2:38 PM, March 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home